The Power of One. The Value of Many.
PSFDH volunteers support the programs and services provided to patients, families, visitors, and staff. Volunteers also organize fundraising events to purchase medical equipment and provide financial support for other hospital services, programs, and initiatives.
PSFDH is supported by two energetic and generous auxiliaries:
There are more than 200 caring and dedicated volunteers who make a positive and lasting impression. Volunteers share a common commitment to making a meaningful contribution to PSFDH and the community in which they live.
What Volunteers Do
Volunteers contribute in a wide range of areas that include patient support services, revenue-generating programs, customer service, and clerical support.
- Patient Support Services: Volunteers contribute directly to the quality of life and standard of care provided to patients by providing support and assistance on nursing units, day hospital, and palliative care.
- Revenue Generating Programs: Volunteers assist and serve customers in the gift shop, sell HELPP lottery tickets, and host fundraising events.
- Customer Service: Volunteers provide support and direction to out-patients, families, and visitors in locations throughout the hospital.
- Clerical Support: Volunteers assist in administrative departments and perform clerical functions that assist staff.
- Board Members: The PSFDH Board of Directors is made up of community volunteers. For more details about Board recruitment, please visit the Board recruitment page on the website.
Volunteers may volunteer several times a week, once a month, or at special auxiliary fundraising socials and events. It is the volunteer’s decision. Auxiliary members must be at least 14 years old.
All of our volunteers are also required to join either the GWM/Perth or Smiths Falls Auxiliary unless you are a student. A small fee is required for membership on a yearly basis.
- To apply:
- Download the volunteer application form. You can also pick one up in the Human Resources Department at the Smiths Falls Site.
- Bring or mail the completed application to the Hospital
- Get a police check from your local police department. A letter will be provided to you to attach to your police report request to ensure there is no cost. Perth and Smiths Falls District Hospital policy requires a police check for everyone working or volunteering at the Hospital.
- Once the above steps have been completed, you will be invited to an interview to discuss your interests in our various programs.
- As an approved applicant, the Hospital and Auxiliary will provide volunteer orientation and training.
- Membership fees are $5.00 per year, payable on joining and thereafter on April 1. Local and Provincial Life Members are exempt from membership fees.
For More Information
Employee Wellness and Engagement Advisor
(613) 283-2330 ext. 1265
Download the Confidentiality Pledge
Download the Code of Conduct