You need to bring your Ontario Health Insurance Card each time you come to the Hospital to receive services. It must be a valid card in order for the Hospital to collect payment for your services from the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. If the request for payment is rejected by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (ie. the card has expired, or the number is not valid) the Hospital must spend additional time and money tracking the patient to get a valid health insurance number or get payment directly from the patient.


A resident of Ontario must have a valid health card to show that he or she is entitled to health care services paid for by OHIP.

There are currently two types of health cards in circulation. The red and white health card which does not have a renewal date, and the photo health card which does have a renewal date listed in the bottom right hand corner. If you have a photo health card, you are responsible for obtaining a replacement card before your current card expires.

You can apply for a new Health Card if you are a former resident returning to live in Ontario, or if you are a new Ontario resident who meets the eligibility requirements for OHIP coverage.

You should apply for a replacement health card if you have been requested to re-register by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, if your health card has been lost, stolen, or damaged, if you are reporting a change of personal information, or if your photo health card is due to expire.

You need to visit an OHIP office or Outreach site if:

  1. You have never had Ontario Health coverage before (e.g. have moved from another country or province).
  2. Your red and white health cardneeds replacing because:
    • It is lost, stolen or damaged (e.g. card is broken, magnetic strip doesn’t work).
    • Your name has changed.
    • Your date of birth or other information has been recorded incorrectly (your provider may discover this while checking your coverage).
    • A health provider has advised you that there is something wrong with your card or your coverage.
  3. Your photo health cardneeds replacing because:
    • The information shown on the card is changing (e.g. change of name).
    • Your photo health card has passed its renewal date (bottom right of the card).

Whether applying for a new or replacement health card, you must take three original documents to prove citizenship/immigration status, residency in Ontario, and identity.

Some sample documents are listed below. The lists are not complete, please refer to the website for additional documents which qualify, or call the Ministry’s INFOline.

To show your Canadian citizenship or immigration status, take the original of one of these documents:

  • Birth Certificate from a Canadian province, territory or the Department of National Defence
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization (paper document or card, not commemorative issue)
  • Current Canadian Passport (or expired passport issued Feb. 15, 1977, or later)
  • Certified Statement of Live Birth from a Canadian province or territory

To show you live in Ontario, take a current original document with your name and home address on it. It can be one of these:

  • Valid Ontario Driver’s Licence or Temporary Driver’s Licence
  • Ontario Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portion)
  • Bank account statement (savings or chequing account, not automated teller receipts)
  • Utility bill (telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Income tax assessment

To show you are the person you say you are, take the original of a document with your name and signature. It can be one of these:

  • Social Insurance Number card
  • Credit card or bank card
  • Current employee ID
  • Student ID card
  • Union card
  • Library card

You cannot use the same document twice. For example, if you use your Driver’s License to show you live in Ontario, you cannot use it again to show you are the person you say you are.

You may be asked for additional documents. For example, if your name has changed you may need to provide a marriage certificate or a change of name certificate.

Local OHIP offices:

401-1055 Princess Street
K7L 5A9
(613) 546-3811
Monday thru Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm

Fuller Building
75 Albert Street
K1P 5Y9
(613) 237-9100
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Wednesday 8:30 am – 6:00 pm

Local Outreach offices:

99A Dufferin Road
K7H 3B6

Smiths Falls:
B-88 Cornelia Street West
K7A 5K9

You do not need to go to a ministry office if:

  1. You still have a red and white health card. These cards are valid unless you are told otherwise by OHIP.
  2. Your photo health card is lost, stolen or damaged (e.g. card is broken, magnetic strip doesn’t work).

If you need a replacement photo health card you can make your request by telephone or in writing as long as you have not changed any information as shown on the card itself or the card has not expired.

What you should do if you move:

You should inform the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care if you change your address. It is important that the ministry has your current address for any direct communication with you.

There are four ways to update your address:

  1. Use Ontario Online Services to send your change of address electronically.
  2. Go to any ServiceOntario kiosk. They are similar to automated teller machines and provide extended hours of service seven days a week. You will need your health card and the health cards of all members of your family as well as your new postal code.
  3. Obtain a “Change of Address” form and return it by mail. Forms are available from your local OHIP office or from the Forms Online section of the ministry website.
  4. Send a letter to your local OHIP office. You must include your name, health number, telephone number, current address, and new address including postal code.

If you have a photo health card and update your home address, you will receive a new card with your new address. If you have a red and white health card, you will continue to use it but the ministry database will be updated.

Call the ministry INFOline at 1-800-268-1154 (Toll-free in Ontario only)
In Toronto, call 416-314-5518
TTY 1-800-387-5559
Hours of operation : 8:30am – 5:00pm
E-mail :

This information has been obtained from the Ministry website: www.health.gov.on.ca

Great War Memorial Site
33 Drummond Street West
Perth, ON K7H 2K1
Tel: (613) 267-1500
Smiths Falls Site
60 Cornelia Street West
Smiths Falls, ON K7A 2H9
Tel: (613) 283-2330

Staff / Board Login